Friday, January 4, 2013

Too much of a Good Thing

Matthew 10:34-39

"Do not suppose that I have come to bring peace to this earth. I did not come to bring peace, but a sword. For I have come to turn, "A man against his father, a daughter against her mother, a daughter-in-law against a mother-in-law, a man's enemies will be the members of his own household". Anyone who loves their father or mother more than me is not worthy of me; Anyone who loves their son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me. Whoever does not take up their cross and follow me is not worthy of me. Whoever finds their life will lose it, and whoever loses their life for my sake, will find it. "

WHOA. These are Jesus' words... What is he saying? Did he come to turn families against one another? That seems like the last thing that a good God would want. But he did come to be our Savior. The one and only savior. The most important thing our hearts should long for is Him... So while this verse can speak to many people whose faith has caused family dissension, I think it speaks to anyone who has idols in their heart. It speaks to anyone that cherishes a "good thing" (aka family) too much. I love my family very much, but they are merely mortals... sinful like me.

God's son was/is perfect and he gave up everything for us. He did MORE than our families could ever do for us. So Jesus is calling us to lose even the "good things" in our life to follow Him completely. Lose the friendships that you desire so greatly, lose the Christian romance you have longed for, lose the knowledge that you strive for... and by "lose" I mean put it in line behind God... make it 2nd, 3rd, 4th... but not FIRST. The Lord Jesus calls us to put him first and we will find life. Put Him 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and we will lose it.

When these secondary things overwhelm and disappoint me, I am grateful for the reminder that my life is not (should not) be founded in them, but rather is founded in the Perfect Savior, Jesus Christ, who will never disappoint me. Thank you Lord for being the rock that cannot be shaken.

No comments:

Post a Comment