Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Stay Awake



If someone asks you to stay awake it implies that you are sleepy. I most recently experienced this when I was asked to take the 12 hour night shift at work. All of the patients are fast asleep in their beds and as the nurse, you are asked to stay awake. So how did I do it? I had to engage my mind in something and also…. snack. Everything in my body was telling me that it was time to sleep, but I had to fight against that inclination due to the fact that one of the patients could need me and I wanted to do my job well, or my boss could come by at any time. 

Jesus asks us to “stay awake” in Mark 13:37. Paul reiterates this request in Romans 13:11. Both are referring to the fact that we do not know when Our Savior is going to return and therefore we do not want to be “sleeping” when he returns! Sleeping in this case is referring to basking in our sinful inclinations and not fighting against them in order to walk in the light. Just as I naturally was sleepy at work during the night time, we are naturally sinful as human beings. If every thought that crosses our mind and heart is not put through the filter of godly discernment, I would be worried that we are in a sleeping state. If decisions we make are not first brought to God out of fear that our sinful heart could be leading us astray, we could be in a sleeping state. If we find ourselves defending our “minor” sins telling ourselves they don’t truly matter, then we could be in a sleeping state. 

Paul says that everyday we live is closer to the day that Jesus will return. I wish I woke up like that: “Today is one more day closer to my Savior returning, so how can I glorify His name?” Both Jesus and Paul give us the solution to staying awake: Jesus says to “Be on guard” in Mark 13, and Paul says to “Put on Jesus Christ and make no provision for the flesh, to gratify it’s desires”. I think Jesus’ command to “be on guard” can be defined as “making no provision for the flesh”. Do not provide a place for sin in your life. Do not provide a TV show that fills your mind with worldliness. Do not provide your mind with freedom to wonder to jealousy, envy, and covetousness. Do not allow for carelessness in your thoughts and actions, but “put on Jesus" by asking the Holy Spirit to help you fight against your sinful desires and sleeping state. The fight begins in your mind and heart. “Above all guard your heart, for it is the wellspring of life.” Proverbs 4:23

Ask the Holy spirit to help you engage your mind. What your mind knows, your heart will love.

  • “Do not be conformed to the pattern of this world, be be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect.” Romans 12:2

  • “Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things.” Philippians 4:8

  • “I will ponder the way that is blameless, Oh when will you come to me? I will walk with integrity of heart within my house; I will not set before my eyes anything that is worthless. I hate the work of those who fall away; it shall not cling to me. A perverse heart shall be far from me; I Will know nothing of evil.” Psalm 101:2-3

  • “How can a young man keep his way pure? By guarding it according to your word. With my whole heart I seek you: let me not wander from your commandments! I have store up your word in my heart, that I might not sin against you” Psalm 119: 9-11


Fill your down time with reading God’s Word or books about God’s Word. Fill your mind with truths from godly songs. Spend your time with uplifting and encouraging Christians. How you fill your mind and spend your time will determine if you are awake or asleep when Jesus returns!

1 comment:

  1. Good stuff girl! Last night as I sat in the car waiting for one of the boys to come out after a practice I took the advice of a friend, got out my phone, and talked to the Father about all the things I had on my calendar for the month of May! Dang, that felt good, and it made me wonder why I don't do that more often? Your post here reminds me that I'm "basking" during those little down times when I could be "Remaining in Him" < John 15.
    Thanks for the inspiration! Keep writing when you can! It's a gift you have.
    Love you!
    -Dad

    ReplyDelete