Friday, September 27, 2013

Unknowingly Dependent

Imagine being in charge of 35 patients who do not even know how much they need your help. They have lost their cognitive processing and have physical ailments beyond repair. If it weren't for you, they would sit in their urine or feces all day. If it weren't for you, they would lie in bed all day. If it weren't for you they wouldn't receive their daily medications and nutrition. If it weren't for you, they would be lost. They are totally and completely, unknowingly...dependent.

As a nurse in a nursing home I often feel inadequate to meet all the needs of my dementia/alzheimer's patients. These patients don't know what they need, so I have to think for them.  They unknowingly trust me to provide for their needs. The weight of providing for 35 patients falls heavy on me. I am not able to think of everything they need and want, and even if I could think of it all, it would be impossible to accomplish in my 12 hour shift.

In God's eyes, I believe we are all like dementia patients. We are unknowingly dependent on Him for everything. We don't acknowledge that we are being taken care of and we take all the essentials we need in life (health, shelter, food, water, etc.) for granted, expecting them to appear each and everyday. I am humbled as I realize I cannot take care of these 35 patients adequately, yet God takes care of the whole Universe day by day. I am so glad that I am not in charge! I pray that I come to Him each day, thanking Him for every good gift (James 1:17) and trusting that He is taking care of me through each and every situation.

Colossians 1:16-17
"For by Him all things were created: things in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or powers or rulers or authorities; all things were created by him and for him. He is before all things, and in him all things hold together."


Matthew 11:28-30
"Come to me, all who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light."- Jesus



No comments:

Post a Comment