Friday, July 5, 2013

Be Holy

Have you heard that as Christians we are to be holy? Sometimes when I think of holy I think we need to be glowing and able to fly or something, but clearly that is not what God is asking us to be when He says "Be holy because I am holy." (Leviticus 11:44, 1 Peter 1:13-15)

Back Story: God made a promise to Abraham that he would make his descendants as numerous as the stars and that they would be God's people. It didn't happen until years later but God did in fact rescue Abraham's descendants (the Israelites) from slavery to lead them to the Promise Land. Somewhere in between Egypt and the Promise Land is where God spoke these words, "Be Holy because I am Holy", through Moses. This is also the time where God gives the Israelites around 600 rules to follow...yikes!! For my whole life I have been unsure of why God gave these seemingly tedious commands to His People. It just seemed like he really was a stickler for rules!!! But as I have read more, it has become clear to me why God had so many rules for His People. One reason is that God was dwelling with these people and a Holy God cannot dwell with an unholy people. But more importantly, these Israelites were to represent God to all the other nations. They were to be set apart so that the world would wonder why they were different.

If you haven't heard it before, I'll tell you now--- the definition of holy is to be "set apart". Israel was known for being God's People and God created guidelines for their lives so that Israel would not only have the best life, but a life that is unmistakably different from the rest of the world's.  If you are in Christ, you are now a part of that same people that is to be set apart from this world. And you are to be set apart for your own good, but more importantly to show the world the glory of God.

To be holy does not mean to "be good".  I know a lot of people that are "good" that are not in Christ. As much as you may think your kind gestures set you apart, I would challenge you to look around and see a world full of people that are doing good things just like you. There is a tendency to want to blend in with the people around you, and that is the opposite of what God has called you to do. To be Holy may mean being opposed to an idea that everyone else is for. It may mean being hated by people around you because you disagree with them (just like Jesus was hated). To be holy is to be like God, not the world.

I have been challenged with this idea because I have noticed that being kind, nice, or good to everyone has not made them ask me why I am different. I actually blend in pretty well when I do that. When we decided to believe in the Son of God (Jesus) we received the Holy Spirit inside of us and that means we have the same power from God that raised Jesus from the dead to make us holy. I am challenged to be set apart for God. My sinful nature wants to blend in with this world, but I will fight against that with the help of the Holy Spirit.  I will fight against my sin to become a new creation, I will vow to learn more about God and seek what He seeks, love what He loves, and hate what He hates. I want to be a reflection of His Glory on this earth.

1 Peter 1:13-16
"Therefore, prepare your minds for action; be self controlled; set your hope fully on the grace to be given to you when Jesus Christ is revealed. As obedient children, do not conform to the evil desires you had when you lived in ignorance. But just as he who called you is holy, so be holy in all you do; for it is written: "Be holy, because I am holy."


2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing this Kaiti! You are right on about how we "blend in" when we just are doing "good thing." If we truly want to be noticed by others we need to be as the 1st century apostles were, set on fire for the proclamation of the gospel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading Brian! Glad we can pursue this goal together as a church family at OSEFC! :)

      Delete