Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Love or Something like it.

Oh how the world has seemed to twist and taint the meaning of love. 
And by twist and taint I mean it has made "romantic" love the end-all-be-all of life.
I work with high schoolers almost every week. Not every high school girl seems to be "love sick", but I would say the majority are. Their lives seem to be 98% better if there is a boy to like or if there is a boy that likes them. I know that this is typical of almost everyone's high school experience but these ideas seem to carry over into life after high school. Girl's end up giving themselves away to boys just to feel loved. I would be lying if I didn't admit that this was part of my story. 

I am not sure as to where the direct source of this love obsession comes from but I would blame movies and the love-obsessed-movie-makers. I admit it is fun to think about romantic dates, perfect photos of each other, whispering sweet nothings, having someone to cuddle with every night... but this cannot be mistaken as love. And love cannot be mistaken as life. 

I am not married. But I have a committed relationship with my Father in Heaven. And a relationship with Him is the ultimate example of Love. I am committed to Him for life and he has an everlasting, never-ending love for me despite my faults. Sure every once in awhile I get "excited feelings" while I worship Him but for the most part it is disciplined actions, thoughts, reading that allows me to really love Him well.  Did you see where I went with that? Love is commitment. Not feelings. But good feelings are an added bonus. 

#1. So if your view of love is "giddy feelings" you will be so very disappointed with your future spouse one day who can not give you those "giddy feelings" every second of your life. 
#2.  If giddy feelings and romantic nights is what you lay awake dreaming about or is what makes you extremely happy or extremely sad, please look for something/someone more stable to love so that your life is not an emotional roller coaster.

I once had a roller coaster life, but I found a purpose much greater than romantic love.  

No comments:

Post a Comment