Saturday, November 7, 2015

From Annoyance to Love

Picture this: You meet a fellow Christian who is passionate about their faith as evidenced by their unashamed God-filled language, kind words, and warmth as they make acquaintance with you. As you get to know them more, you see more Christ-like characteristics, such as: no harmful words about others, genuine interest in your life and soul, reference to the Scriptures, and a passion to see the Gospel spread to people around the world.

As embarrassed as I am to say this, when I have met women like this in the past, I have felt annoyed. A reoccurring thought that passed through my mind went something like this: " I cannot connect with this woman because she is not authentic." I was assuming that someone surely has to be "fake" if they are talking about God and spiritual things in all circumstances.  I was used to connecting with people by making fun of each other, or making fun of others and even connecting over the sin we would have in common (Proverbs 1:14-15). As God has sanctified me and continues to, I have regretfully learned that even as a Christ-follower I can be tempted to be a world-follower that "hates Christians just as they hated Christ..."

God in his grace has revealed to  me this "world-following" temptation in myself that hates what is holy, so that I can fight against it with the help of the Holy Spirit. Women (and men) who have been transformed by the Holy Spirit to be more Christ-like have ultimately gained and may now pursue holy characteristics just as Christ is holy (1 Peter 1:16). As sinners, we hate what is holy. As sinners redeemed and changed by the blood of Christ, we come to love what is holy-- yearning to come closer to our Holy God.

It is clear in the Bible that followers of this world hate Christ and His followers:

"And you will be hated by all for my namesake." Matthew 10:22
"For the mind that is set on the flesh is hostile to God." Romans 8:7
"If the world hates you, know that it has hated me before it hated you. If you were of the world, the world would love you as its own; but because you are not of the world, but I chose you out of the world, therefore the world hates you." John 15:18-19
"Do not be surprised brothers, that the world hates you." 1 John 3:13

Do you feel annoyed when people talk about God? Would you rather if people just stuck to worldly topics of conversation? Would you like to silence those who bring up Christ? Do you not like people who ask you about your faith? Christ-followers love Christ and His holiness and His people. So ask yourself: Do you find yourself tempted to be annoyed with the Christ-like character of your brothers and sisters in Christ rather than bonding with them over the mercy of your Heavenly Father?

It is important to recognize that even as a follower of Christ we can be tempted to deny Christ and hate what is holy (John 18:13-27). But God knows we will be tempted by this and therefore His Word instructs us:

"For this is the message that you have heard from the beginning, that we should love one another. We should not be like Cain, who was of the evil one and murdered his brother. And why did he murder him? Because his own deeds were evil and his brother's righteous. Do not be surprised, brothers, that the world hates you. We know that we have passed out of death into life, because we love the brothers. Whoever does not love abides in death. Everyone who hates his brother is a murderer, and you know that no murderer has eternal life abiding in him. By this we know love that he laid down his life for us, and we ought to lay down our lives for the brothers." 1 John 3:11-16

I have seen God transform my heart and continue to do so... I have seen myself go from being disgusted by righteousness to loving and respecting my sisters in Christ who freely pursue righteousness with the grace and mercy of our Lord Jesus Christ.  I need to continually come to God in prayer asking Him to help me fight against my temptation to hate holiness and instead love my Christian brothers and sisters, so that the world may see and know Christ. Will you join me in this prayer?

"By this all people will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another." John 13:35

No comments:

Post a Comment