Tuesday, December 3, 2013

the humble will be exalted.

As a christian, there are some great advantages to being "unsuccessful", as the world defines it. You may have searched and searched for that job that you will succeed in or that talent you could excel in  and have never found it... This may be a sore subject for some if they have tried to find their worth in being respected for their special abilities. I say it may be a sore subject because more often than not, we find that someone is always more talented or more successful in our talents than we are. This brings me back to my first sentence: that there are great advantages to being unsuccessful in this world. If you cannot find your niche in this world, then you are forced to look elsewhere for your worth. This is why I believe God uses the least expected humans to do his mighty work. For the unsuccessful in this world lean not on their own abilities but on God's work alone in their lives. For they know that through their own effort, they have failed time and time again to be "great" in the world's eyes, but they find that they are only great when they are found righteous in the eyes of the Lord through Jesus Christ's sacrifice.

 As much as my fleshly heart desires to be "great" (successful, smart, wealthy, respected) in the eyes of the world, I have found that through my  unremarkable abilities that God has drawn me to be more dependent on His power and not on my own. For if I was successful in the eyes of the world, I know that I would become prideful and dependent on my own abilities rather than my creator who gave me all my abilities. For even now I see myself becoming slightly proud when I succeed in something minor! I pray that God reminds me each day that He is the one who has given me any kind of talent and that all praise goes back to Him. Keep me humble, Lord, that I may remember who has made me and who sustains me. Thank you for my inadequacies that draw me closer to you.

"For whoever exalts himself will be humbled, and whoever humbles himself will be exalted."
Matthew 23: 12

"Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven." Matthew 5:3

No comments:

Post a Comment